Defence DevSecOps Service
Use the Defence DevSecOps Service (D2S) to access a modern, cloud-native platform that provides industry best practice capabilities and a CI/CD DevSecOps pipeline to create modern applications that are fast to deploy and easy to update.
Through leveraging a cloud-based, containerised infrastructure, D2S provides Ministry of Defence (MOD) users with an end-to-end service to enable the rapid development, testing and deployment of critical Defence applications.
As a user of D2S you will have access to an integrated suite of technologies, best-in-class DevSecOps tooling and secure, responsive software to accelerate the deployment of Defence applications to production.
Cloud-native application platform (CNAP)
- allows you to build and scale containerised applications on a secure, hybrid cloud platform
- through exploitation of cloud services, the service offers application hosting flexibility and increased resilience
Assured DevSecOps tooling and CI/CD pipeline
- enables you to seamlessly integrate DevSecOps tools and organise CI/CD processes when building your application
- continously commit code into production with shorter development cycles and more rapid feature development
Secure by Design
- gain security assurance when onboarding onto the platform and associated toolkit
- leverage a secure pipeline with in built, automated security when developing and testing your application
- access a catalogue of application templates, code sharing capabilities and resusable technologies
- reduce application development costs through reuse of software, assets and data
- accelerate productivity through self-service to bring new features to market at pace
- minimise the time between development, test and production environments with the ability to centralise and automate processes
OpenShift Platform (OCP) is a container management platform from Red Hat, underpinned by Kubernetes and container technologies. OCP allows you to build, run and manage secure container workloads on the platform in real-time.
OCP allows access to all tooling within its ecosystem. Access to an integrated DevSecOps toolchain means that you can configure CI/CD pipelines depending on your specific application needs.
Source control system
You can store and manage application code on the MOD GitHub SaaS repository. This allows you to securely track and manage changes to code during software development.
Monitoring and logging performance
Monitor and logging stacks provide real-time status tracking capabilities, with visualisation tooling to capture application performance metrics from the platform and the applications running on it, allowing you to inspect and monitor the status of your application.
Applications developed using the service will inherit security assurance from a secure pipeline with in built, automated application testing and security checking.
D2S is currently in private beta, with a number of MOD development teams onboarded onto the service to help gather feedback and improve the offering so we can ensure it meets user needs before rolling out more widely across Defence. Public beta will commence when the PREDA team is satisfied that a number of set criteria has been met and the service is running successfully and as expected. The team is targetting July 2022 for the public beta service to be available to anyone in MOD with a business need for D2S.
Extensive user research will inform the development of the service and its capabilities, in line with agile delivery best practice as outlined within the Government Service Manual where you can access guidance on how to work in an agile way.
D2S is free for MOD teams at the point of use for the first year. This will be subject to a fair usage agreement to ensure all teams are able to leverage the service in an appropriate manner to meet their needs. The 12 months starts from the date the license is granted for each application request and will be reviewed after the first 12 months.
After the first year, teams will be subject to a consumption based charging model based on CPU usage. The cost model is Pay-As-You-Go so the monthly fee will vary depending on the CPU used in that time. There will be a consultation at the end of the first year of usage before any charges are incurred.
A service cost model has been developed to provide key insights into the future operating costs of the service after the first year. This will help your team understand and identify cost drivers, and enable you to financially plan and budget moving forward.
The service cost model:
- forecasts costs for the DevSecOps platform over a 2 year period
- offers a granular breakdown of costs by cluster environment
- provides transparency on how costs are built up and scaled
- enables application teams to budget for future costs and calculate recharge costs specific to their application
- outlines recharging principles proposed by the Defence Digital Foundry
How to find out more
If you are interested in finding out more information about the service, register your interest or contact a member of the team, please email us at UKStratCom DD-Foundry-DSO-Engage.